Friday, January 7, 2011

Prone to depravity

                        

I have a new nose! After 3 difficult breaks and added bumps and bruises, I had my surgery and am well into my recovery. Also, my 21st birthday is coming up next week! I can't wait. But enough about all that. Here's a few thoughts that I've had rummaging around in my brain.

The phrase "prone to depravity" came to me whenever I was listening to a song by David Crowder Band called Wholly Yours. (check it out if you haven't, btw.) BUT! Knowing depravity is our course-heading, why aren't we chomping at the bit to run in the other direction? What keeps us "prone" to that kind of outcome? Depravity by definition means moral corruption, or extreme perversion. Does that really sound like fun? Apparently what is moral is not the growing trend in today's generation.

Since Facebook and Twitter are taking over, I creep on everybody's profiles, just like everyone else does! Ha, that's beside the point, but what I find myself reading over and over again are variations of the same statuses. All the "why me's," the "psh, whatevers," and the "oh no he didn't!"; people are acting like hamsters on a wheel in their search for true happiness in everyday life. They try something and come back to the same, if not worse, results. Girls get these boyfriends, put up some sob story 6 months later, and they're on to the next one! And wouldn't you know, 4 months later, it's another, "it's ok, i'll find someone better!" Prone to depravity, ignoring God's best for our lives. It's what's gotten into all of us, and it's going ignored.

The cry of my heart for this year is that people would re-evaluate what's most important in their lives, prioritize! Something, anything to get their prone-to-depravity-ness-levels down, and God's best as their main priority. As for the church itself, we have our work cut out for us. Jersey Shore is what's getting peoples' attention, not morals and salvation. I pray the church would gain creativity to keep up with today, and keep winning souls. That's what it's all about! We are supposed to win souls! (Proverbs!)

It'll have to start with me.

Redeemed, JAS.

No comments:

Post a Comment