Friday, February 18, 2011

Commanded, Not Called.

Today I woke up with this thought:

Why do people say they are or aren't "called" to do the work of God?

Is anybody "called?" No, actually we're COMMANDED. I feel as if we have unknowingly erected lines of defense against the global purpose God has COMMANDED for our lives. "Well, I'm just not called to foreign missions." They way we talk about "foreign missions" makes it seem like it's an optional program at the church for only "those who are called" to take part in. But where in the Bible is missions ever identified as an optional program at church? What select few have this crazy task to complete alone?

The point is this: Jesus himself didn't merely CALL us to go to all nations; he has CREATED us and COMMANDED us to go. We have taken this command and reduced it to a "calling," a "conviction." The Great Comission that SO many of us could cite off in our sleep doesn't say "Therefore (some of you) GO..."

We like to rationalize God's word in other ways too to make it fit better with our lives, instead of the other way around. We read the command in Matthew to make disciples of all nations, and we think "that means other people." Then we skip back a few chapters and read ANOTHER command that says, "Come to me all who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest." And we think, "that means me." We take Jesus' promise in Acts that His Spirit will lead us to the ends of the earth and think, "I just can't." Then again in John, Jesus promises to give life abundantly, and we think "That I can handle."

We're assigning the obligations of Christianity to a few, while keeping the priveleges of Christianity for all.

Some would say things like this: "What about the needs here? My mission field is the United States." Here's my stance:

Out of the 7 billion people living on the Earth right now, (and counting) 1/3 of the people consider themselves a Christian. The other 4.5 BILLION(ish) who don't claim to know Christ, will spend an eternity seperated from everything that is good. By the way, most of that number live outside the United States. But let me be clear in saying that I'm not bashing hometown churches or anything of the sort. My mom always says, "You grow where you are planted." And I'm a firm believer in that. Now, I'm growing farther out than she was expecting. :)

For those who think they'd never have time for, the resources for, the health for going overseas, or even the mere desire, please know that we have been commanded. And why can't we do both? If your mission field is here, then MAKE IT your mission field. BEAR FRUIT. And if you refuse to go, please help to send. Let's work together and stop compartmentalizing "missions" and see the need. And meet it! If God is for us, what can ever stop us?

God has blessed us with living in a country where we don't wake up scouring for food, running for our lives, or living on the streets. MAN, I love the United States!!! But, He blesses us not for our sakes, not because He loves us, (which He truly does), but it's to help spread HIS name, HIS glory.


I'm blessed to be apart of the diverse, worldwide body of believers. I'm thankful for my church, the fellowship I grow with each week, the pastors who challenge me daily, and the ability to worship freely. I'm overflowing with blessings, that I just have to share.

REDEEMED, JAS. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment