Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Peace over worry

"True peace isn't found in the lack of conflict or in the feelings of contentment. True peace is knowing that the God of the universe is in total control of your life."

AAAAAMEN. I feel as if people from all around the world wake each day in a pre-determined state of stress/worry. One of the first things we think each morning is, "What time is it?" Are we wondering the time because we're grateful for another day? Hardly. We usually wonder what time it is to see if we're running late, if we slept too long, or if we can hit the snooze another 5x. It's almost like our days are instantly going to be driven by what worries us most. Did I finish that assignment for class? I hope we don't have a test in there today. Is there gas in my car? Did I call so and so back? Do I have time for a Starbucks which I so desperately (think I) need?? All of these things seem harmless and just thoughts, not worries. But are they?

I've always considered myself to be a citizen of the utopia world that The Beatles would've lived in. Where people simply "Let it Be." But the more I've examined my life, I see that I am controlled by my anxieties, by my schedules. And for lack of a better word, it's pathetic. 

Let me share a way that God has taken control over my anxieties and is letting me know that He knows what He's doing.
This morning I woke up with my typical worries. Am I running late? Yes, I was. Instead of worrying, I decided to drive safely rather than frantically, and let it go. Did I end up being late? No, I didn't. Did ticketmaster overbook my Valentine's Day present for this Saturday and therefore ruin my weekend plans? Yes, they did. After a 30 second rant, I let it go instead of letting it ruin my day. Did my amazing boyfriend come up with something even better for us to occupy our time with for Saturday? Yes, he did. And most importantly for today. I've been waiting on an important email back from the organization that I'm hoping to travel with this summer. It's been over a few weeks, and all day I'd been worrying about whether the spots on the trip would be filled or not. Did she email me back tonight JUST as I was letting go of the situation? Yes, yes she did. :) The point? God will bless your obedient decision to LET GOD and stop worrying!

In Philippians 4, Paul wrote: "The peace of God, that surpasses ALL understanding will guard your heart and your mind."

And DANG is that true!
The peace that comes from God is something unexplainable, or as it says, completely unfathomable. The feeling of having God be in control of a situation in your life, rather than you taking control, is TRUE peace. And if you're a true follower of Christ, you're striving to have God control EVERY area of your life to gain that true peace that surprasses all understanding.
Tonight, I've decided to do just that. It's something I have to remind myself of daily, but I'm letting go, and letting God give me peace of mind that only He can give.

I'm applying for my trip to Africa in the morning, so continue to pray for all involved as well as the area we'll be travelling to. More to come! :)

Redeemed, JAS.

1 comment: